Skip to content
Status of the Fight to End Partisan Redistricting in Indiana
- In 2016, the Special Interim Committee on Redistricting, a bipartisan panel of legislators and citizens recommended the General Assembly pass a law to create a 9 member redistricting commission.
- In 2017, Speaker of the House Brian Bosma and Rep. Jerry Torr sponsored House Bill 1014 based on this recommendation. It received a hearing in the Election Committee but not a vote. The bill died.
- This year, Speaker of the House Brian Bosma and Rep. Jerry Torr have sponsored House Bill 1014 (the same bill number as last year, 2017). Senators John Ruckelshaus, Mike Bohacek and Jon Ford have sponsored a similar bill for the Senate, Senate Bill 159.
- Senate Elections Committee Chair Greg Walker has authored Senate Bill 326 discussing how the maps should be drawn. We would like him to strengthen the bill but we support the aim of his legislation. We believe this step needs to be done in conjunction with establishing an independent redistricting commission.
- The Indiana Coalition for Independent Redistricting is working to get these bills a committee hearing and a VOTE!